My heart songs
are found in hollows and open spaces;
like when I wandered the souq with all the homesickness
Swaying my stomach to the left and head to the right
And I broke over, in two at the waist at two travellers, laughing,
two-gather
The home-spun loneliness of my life unravels outward to infinite
And walking those nights only hearing Hebrew or Arabic
Through walls of the Old City, a little drunk and inward quiet
I leaned upon stone, and realized
relationships of common language give life the most meaning
and that mercy can be as bare as knowing,
that you could be in one of those relationships, now, if you so chose.
The ancient progression unraveling to infinite
Showed me heart songs and mercy
And there is nothing my heart songs respond to more than
Feral thumps, the taste of grass, raspberry seeds, the thought of your mother's caress while homesick and afar,
mist, dirt, wings, jazz
Writing or warmth
The thought of infinity and idea of change
The feel of a neck or the base of a flower pot.
I went to the place where Jesus was crucified.
Seeking mercy, I napped my hours into the church square
awaking beside a woman talking quietly to herself
A diamond of blue chalk at her third eye
A police officer asked her
If she was a Christian
Yes
Where are you from?
Texas
And in her accent I heard a friend as she, too, once had spoken with that same accent, kindly mocking, saying
She is a southern belle.
I laughed a little and felt at home,
Both of us on quests and both speaking English
I had not heard English in a long time and was washed over
with mercy thus becoming
merciful
I thought of saying:
I am a weary traveler and seek mercy so I ask for you to share a meal with me
I did not, she kept
Talking to herself laughing sometimes and then
Carrying on her conversation
So I sat next to her for an hour
thinking and watching
For the right salutation
for when she finished.
She got up moving to the alley out I moved slowly not wanting to disturb
asking for nothing save the perfect ending to the poem
I had begun hearing.
a man was painting
I observed
Standing like his elbow my eyes his
brush
I will ask her, I must, and I will give her
time
and then she came sitting back down
all the spaces around her
Were full with people, so I could not too sit and wait again.
And I laughed for it was the perfect ending
to the poem.
Each person,
Be it the Christian woman
Be it the boy carrying pomegranate juice he squeezed for ten cents
Holding the brimming cup with giant grin
or the disdainful man
chewing loud hurrying to receive the juice
or a quiet old woman
praying within the shouts and whispers of the Muslim Quarter at noon.
Each person, each animal, each tree, each rock, each molecule of water
Every one's quilt unravels to infinite
between the word and answer
between the subtle and the gross
through heart songs spun in home places and revisited afar
I am spiraling around
and around.
heart songs - very moving and beautiful
ReplyDeleteJackson-
ReplyDeleteI love you. I go to sleep knowing you are just waking, so your daytime is my dreamtime....
love
mom
Hey Jackson!
ReplyDeleteWe all miss you in the Butte! I am telling people about this blog so they all can see what your up to. Your journey sounds amazing!
- Natalie Barefield